Sunday, October 21, 2012

Half Marathon - am I crazy??

My friend Angie asked me in September while we were on a walk one day to do the half marathon with her in October. Half marathon??? I thought as we continued along.....I knew that I COULD do it. I had done it before; BUT that was in 1998, not only 14 years ago, but 2 kids ago (50+ pound weight fluctuations off and on for those pregnancies) two knees and hips that remind me almost daily that I am closer to "40" now than I was "20" then.  I pondered the thought for a moment as she awaited my response....then I of course said "sure, why not!" and the training began. I really did not have much time, I had already been attending some cardio circuit classes at the Y a few days a week, but I did add a little more running in on my off days.  October 21st arrived and our family calendar had many commitments for that day: Doug was scheduled to teach KQ at church, Kate had a soccer match out of town, etc., so I knew that I would not have them along the route to support me.  In perfect God fashion, he blessed me with the most beautiful Fall morning that anyone could have asked for.  He was all the support that I would need!  I picked up Angie and we headed downtown to join thousands of our closest friends (-; early that morning and hit the streets of Des Moines. It was going great, not only good weather, tons of supporters, bands, snack/drink stations, etc.,. but then Angie had to leave me around mile 8 (for a family commitment) and I finished the last few on my own. Constantly I was reminded that I was NOT alone. There was a "team Philippians" shirt that I continued to see along the route which constantly reminded me from verse 4:13 that "I can do all things thru Christ who strengthens me" and how true that was.  As I persevered on thru miles 9,10,11,12, and 13 with my legs cramping often, my feet and hips aching constantly, I knew I could do it.  Then as I crossed the finish line I saw my brother-in-law Jim, cheering me thru and that helped SO MUCH!!! Thanks for being there Jim (as I know that you know exactly how I was feeling).   
After getting home I chatted with my friend Angie a while later. She was anxious to hear how it went and then of course asked "Next year, we will do the whole thing together next year.....right?"  Who knows....I guess we will just have to see..... (-;   but I do know one thing....all things are possible!

No comments: