Monday, August 1, 2011

RAGBRAI - 2011

Becky & I enoying a much deserved cold one in Elkhart! Don't you all just love that Husker jersey???
Don't we look just like the Gothic painting??

Bummer, I was really hoping to catch him this year!

Enjoying some famous "church lady" pie along our route -- YUMMO!!!

Doug, Becky and I on a quick stop for our free milk!


Well, the day had finally arrived and I was SO excited I could hardly stand it.....a few years ago Doug and I had ridden a day of Ragbrai from Indianola to Chariton and I was hooked! The conditions that day according to everyone that I spoke with were abnormally perfect. Cool start in the am, no humidity, gentle breeze out of the North West, and highs only in the 80's. Completely atypical of your standard Ragbrai week here for Iowa in July. BUT, I was loving it and had such a great time......so from that point on I have been wanting to ride 2 days in a row and accomplished that goal last week! Doug, Becky (friend/co-worker of mine) & were dropped off on Wednesday morning a little after 0630 in Boone and began to make our way to Altoona - for a total of 56.1 miles.

It was a beautiful morning, cool (80's), overcast, and filled with 8,000+ people sharing the rural highways in Central Iowa together - enjoying life on a bike for the day! I am always amazed at the people we meet from all across the nation, the varying ages of the riders, the crazy outfits, the delicious road side food stands, the hospitality of all of the little towns that you go through - but mostly, just enjoying how beautiful it all is...taking the extra time to stop a look around (well, I guess not completely stop, but while pedaling between 14-28 mph for about 8-9 hours..... (-: ) The afternoon began to heat up, our shade broke, but we pedaled on for our last 1-2 hours on a few hills closing in on Altoona with the heat index reaching nearly 105.. WHEW!!! Day # 1 completed, no accidents, TONS of fun, laughs and a great time had by all!!!

No comments: